Sunday, 10 October 2010

A Challenging Sketch!


Phew!.. I finally got this card done! :) I made this card for the weekly Sugar Nellie PCP Forum challenge where this week the challenge was warm and christmassy.  I decided to kill two Sugar Nellie birds with one stone and use the Sketch over at the Sugar Bowl  by Tiets below:

On first look, this seems quite complicated, but I'm usually up for a challenge, so thought I would give it my best shot.  I approached this by hunting through my scraps box, and found some HOTP scraps (which I never throw away) and just played around with the layers for a bit to see which had the best impact.


I then did one layer at a time, and avoided 'over-matting', by opting to just stick the papers on top of each other, but matted just one piece and the main image with shimmer card.  This avoided it looking to over-done imo. :)  I used a pearl pin, a christmas sentiment from Crafty Bitz, mulberry holly leaves and some die-cut snowflakes attached with star brads.  The 'Joy' sentiment was from a bag of xmas buttons from QVC.

I used Adirondack ink for staining, green perfect pearls, and stickles pearl for the hand-muff.  The black dots are from peel-off cast-offs (the bits you dont use), and some white glitter on the coat trims.  I also hand-stitched the gold around the image.... Phew! :)

I will be entering this card in the following competitions:

Sugar Nellie PCP forum - Warm christmas colours
The Sugar Bowl - Tiets Sketch
Crafty Cardmakers - No Square Cards!
Ooh La La Creations - Nothing Floral
Wild Orchid Challenges - Stitching (hand-stitched panel)
A Spoonful of Sugar - Sparkle and Shine (shimmer card, glitter, stickles, perfect pearls and bling)
Passion For ProMarkers - Recycle Theme - I used scraps of paper, the star panels were from an old christmas card cut up, and the black dots are from the bits you throw away from a peel off sheet.
Totally Gorjuss - Not a square card
Allsorts Challenge - Song title - 'Joy to the World'

Good luck to everyone else in these challenges!
Many thanks for looking, and always thanks for comments, they are much appreciated
xxalisonxx

33 comments:

Debs said...

Wow this is stunning, I love everything about it. The image is fabulously coloured and all the embellishments finish it off perfectly. Debs xx

Lorraine said...

wow beautiful entry i love it you mastered the dreaded sketch wonderfully and your colouring is gorgeous as always xx

The Crafty Den said...

Hi Alison, what a pretty card. The image and papers are gorgeous. Thanks for taking part in our recycling challenge over at PFP this week. Hugs, Denise x

TG said...

Stunning card Alison, and fabulous recycling too!
Thanks for joining us this week at PfP, good luck.
Hugs Tracy x

Anja's KortKreasjoner said...

Such a great card. Thank you for joining us at PfP this week.
Hugs, Anja

Sue C said...

Lovely card Alison, thanks for joining us at PfP. Sue C x

Paula said...

Love your touches of gold & that light green pin accents it all so well. She's such a delightful image too & I like how you've used the same paper on the two vertical strips. I had to abandon my spinner card & settled for this sketch too.
It's always a joy to see what you do with these sketches.
Paula (PEP)

PaulaM said...

OMG Alison, you really nailed this one.You did that sketch complete justice!I love all the different papers you used and I really like this Sugar Nellie - I think she is on my wish list, but will be for sure now!! Lovely, Lovely. TFS

Julie said...

Gorgeous card - love all your papers and the colour scheme too! Thanks for joining us at PFP this week! Juliexx

Wendi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wendi said...

Wow wow wow this is absolutely gorgeous your colouring is stunning love everything about it
I even forgive you the flowers
Thank you so much for sharing with us at ooh la la this week
Wendi

Lilian said...

Gorgeous gorgeous card Alison! So glad you tried and were pleased with the sketch :) Thanks for joining the Sugar Bowl Challenge!

Kreativmonster said...

This sketch is a challenge, you're absolutely right, but you mastered it in a marvellous manner. Great card!

Jack said...

Beautiful card. Thanks for joining us at Crafty Cardmakers this week. xx

elsi67 said...

So sweet :) Thanks for playing with us at Wild Orchid Crafts ♥

KarinsArtScrap said...

you did great work with the sketch alison.
beautiful papers, it is just perfect not overdone.
very beautiful card.

greetings and hugs from karin

Suzilou said...

Hi Alison - what a fab card and oh my gosh what a sketch! May have to try that one myself :) xx

Debs said...

such a sweet card and fab recycling :0)..thanks for joining us at PFP...Debs x

Andie's Space said...

Hi Alison,
WOW! This looks fabulous. Love your colouring & gorgeous papers & the recycling is great. Especially love the stitching round the edge. Thanks for joining us at PFP.
Hugs,
Andie xx

fionalawlor said...

Beautiful card, i love the colours that you have used :o)
Thanks for joining us this week at Crafty Cardmakers.
Fiona x

Kim Piggott said...

OMGoodness Alison this is absolutely beautiful!
So love that sweet image and your papers are fabulous!
hugs
kim x

Mummylade said...

this is such a brilliant work! Thank you so much for entering the Allsorts challenge this week and good luck.

debby4000 said...

Oh she is adorable, wonderful card.
luv
Debby

Mary J said...

Oh Alison, you rocked that sketch! Gorgeous card!

Thx for joining us at Totally Gorjuss - hope to see more of your inspiration for our next challenge!

Fleur said...

A beautiful card, your colouring is gorgeous
Hugz Fleur xXx

Suzilou said...

Hi Alison - Wasnt sure where to answer your question and wow what a lot of comments you have for this card :) Arn't Kenny K images just irresistable - I have to stop myself hitting that 'add to basket' button. Anyway I coloured the trim on her outfit with silver metalic pen and then went over it with glitter glue. Am looking forward to seeing your creation with one of these fab digis xx

Kim said...

Alison this is awesome hun! What a gorgeous card and I so love your layout! Great work!!!
Hugs~ Kim

scotspanda said...

fabulous card, the colours are so warm and cosy lol, the image is fabby too. lots of work I hope it will be going to an appreciative recipient!

thankyou for joining in with my musically inspired challenge this week @ Allsorts

Amanda xx

JAYNE said...

Hi Alison, What a stuning card, the sketch looked so complicated to follow, dont think I could have done it. Love this image also, another lovely card. Hugs Jayne xx

Heidi said...

Hi Alison!
What a beautiful card:)
Love all the things you have done. It's gorgeous!
I have something for you on my blog:)
Hugs, Heidi:)

Rymyrinsessa said...

Love this one too!! <3

Nina Macaulay said...

Great card, and what a sketch!!
I love your take on it. you have such a good eye for colours, details and matching everything together, I love it!
Its almost the weekend, have a good one! :OD

Hugs Nina x

Sandy Ang said...

Wow - you achieved such a great card from that sketch ! Love the colours.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...