Wednesday, 19 January 2011

Dandelion Dreams



I made this card today to enter in the Lili of the Valley challenge - 'with wings'.  I adore these new stamps, they are all such cuties!  I followed the fab sketch over at Sketch Saturday .

Firstly though, I am going to indulge myself  a bit and kick off.......... 

.............It was a real struggle to upload my image and even try to enter the challenge due to my absolute pants internet connection.  I hate my ISP :(  I cannot choose another service provider, as living very rural, broadband is not an option for us unless we opt for satellite broadband provided by AVANTI.  In general the speed is rubbish (512kbps download and 112kbps upload) and the meagre monthly allowance of 5gig which is already used up this month is appalling for the money it costs.  Many people can use that in a day, and pay much less for unlimited broadband than Avanti charge at £23.50 a month + VAT.  They have our arms twisted behind our backs as we cannot get internet any other way and I would not recommend this option to anyone unless they really, really, really do not have a choice.  This was a govt sponsored initiative for rural communities, and 1 year later I feel that Avanti are taking complete advantage of  the lack of alternatives, competition and choice with a deteriorating service over the last 2 months.

So for the remainder of this month, I am 'virtually crippled' as my speed is now throttled at 56kbps (dial up speed) until the 1st of February, and so I will be unable to visit as many blogs, and comment and probably even enter as many challenges as I would like.  Sorry for sounding off, but I have spent over 2 hours trying to get the picture of this card to upload, and have possibly missed the LOTV deadline.  I am normally a very nice, chilled out person, with only a kind word to say about most things ;) but I was almost in tears with this today.

On a more cheery note, I really enjoyed making this card. LOL. :)   I hand-stitched the HOTP papers to the backing card, and tried to go for an overall distressed feel to this card.  Im not too good at distressing, but I intend to keep trying to perfect some kind of a vintage style, as I so admire other crafters and designers who can really pull this off.

I assembled my own flowers from stash, stitched ribbon to the punched panels and attached a dangly charm.  I am hoping to enter this card in the below competitions:

Lili of the Valley - With Wings
Wild Orchid Challenge - Get Sentimental
Simon Says Stamp - A really fun Bingo challenge - I went for a diagonal line of punches, gems and flowers, but I would probably have liked to have a go at a full house! :) lol!
Do You Stack Up - Distress it
Sketch Saturday - Great sketch (sketches are my favourite!)
Allsorts Challenge - Teal Blue and Brown (great colour combo)
Papertake Weekly - Ribbons and pearls
The Stampman challenges - Distress
Stampin for the Weekend - New and Blue - New stamp and blue DP
One Stitch at a Time - Something New - New stamp
Top Tip Tuesday - Use a sentiment
Charisma Cardz - Good Luck
Crafty Calendar Challenge - New Beginnings.  Follow your dreams and Good luck sentiment for someone embarking on changing their life.
Pear Tree Designs - Anything Goes
2 Sisters Challenge - Flowers
Alys Sunday Challenge - Things with wings

Thanks so much for looking, and I promise with all my heart to be in a better mood and more cheery spirits tomorrow when I will post the winner of my blogoversary candy.



31 comments:

Kathyk said...

Three fab little card images there and all of the cards on the LOTV link are just fab too

Hope you're having a great Wednesday

Kathyk

Sadilla said...

that's simply stunning dear! =)
hugs
Sadia

Louise said...

Hi Alison, this is just so gorgeous! Really love the colours and overall vintage look to your card. Your internet probs must be sooo frudtrating. I'm always moaning about ours but I now realise it's not that bad after reading your post. Hugs and hope tomorrow is a better day.

D K Crafts said...

Hi Alison. This is absolutely gorgeous. Love the blue and brown colour combination and the distressed look. Adorable image and I agree these new images are stunning and you have coloured this image beautifully. Good luck with your challenges. Such a pity about your broadband, you would think it would be easy to get a service provider due to the amount of competition there is. Enjoy the rest of your evening. Donna

Kathyk said...

And the proper card is even lovelier!!!

Kathyk

Paula said...

That sounds absolutely terrible with the Broadband. Hope you got this in in time. I must say this is a real stunner with those colours & I love the offset scallops. Lovely idea with the stitching & those flowers look rather good too. Wish I could give you a bit of my internet - AOL have been first rate.
Paula (PEP)
http://pepcraftchallexp.blogspot.com/

Denise and Louise said...

Wow - this is just gorgeous. Love everything about it. Thanks for joining us at Do You Stack Up.

Hugs
Denise

McCrafty's Cards said...

an absolutely gorgeous card, I like the image and i love what you have done with the flowers.
Kevin xx

Peggysue said...

Beautiful card Alison! Thanks for sticking with it and getting it uploaded. I love all the embellishments you added. Just wonderful detail!! Thanks so much for playing along with us at DYSU.

Kim B said...

Just Beautiful. Thanks for joining us at Do You Stack Up :)

Leah the Orange said...

just darling! the vintage/shabby feel is so nice, and i love the colour combo... thanks for sharing your sweet creation with the Charisma Gals this week! xo

Debs said...

Stunning card - love the detail and your colouring is amazing!
Thanks for playing along at Allsorts with us this week and good luck.
Debs xx

Kreativmonster said...

Poor Dear, I know these problems and really cherished our new highspeed internet connection when is was installed last year.
Your card is very, very gorgeous and I think that one can see that you ejoyed making it! Hugs
Kreativmonster

KarinsArtScrap said...

hi alison, your card is so great, what beautiful colors and papers.
your heart embellishment is beautiful also your flowers.
very pretty pretty card

greetings karin

Leanne said...

This is such a pretty card - I love the colours as well!

Thank you for joining us at Top Tip Tuesday!  Hope to see you again next week!

Hugs
Leanne xx

Lynne said...

Hi Alison,
I am in Scotland too and we live in a village that gets broadband, its not great but it now hearing your story maybe it is good after all! We have a few option for providers and i am now with Sky and with my package its classed as free.
I cant believe the cost of yours!
Anyway your card is stunning and well worth the hassle of posting it! I just love your colours!
Thanks for joining in at Crafty Calender this month!
Lynne x

Heike said...

Wow, your card is beautiful so lovely Details. Thanks for joining us over at Top Tip Tuesday for our 'All Sentimental' challenge.

Hugs
Heike

Chocolate Orange said...

Stunning !! I have to admit, i treated myself to the same stamp. Its gorgeous!
Thanks for sharing with us at OSAAT for our 'New' challenge. Good Luck !

Choccy x

Flutterby Trina said...

Love it! Thanks for joining us at PTD this week, Good luck

hugs

Katrina

xxx

Kirsten...x said...

Lovely card the image is so sweet...x

Thanks for joining us this week at allsorts hugs Kirsten...x

Dawn said...

What a beautiful card. Love the flowers & the colours. Thanks for playing with us at OSAAT

Susie said...

Gorgeous card...and well worth the struggle to get it uploaded! Love the image and colours you've used. Thanks for joining us at Pear Tree Designs this week and good luck xx

LouDotMac said...

I love the colours and all the layers you have pieced together. This image is so cute - and obviously very popular!!

Thanks for joining us over at Pear Tree Designs - good luck in the challenges!!

Lou Mac. xo

P.S - why not head on over to my blog, I have candy available until the 31st.

Christine said...

Oh wow, what a fantastic card. I love all of your embellishments and how you designed your card. It's also a lovely stamp and you colored it so beautifully. Thanks so much for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Challenge blog. I hope to see your lovely creations again soon.
xoxo, Christine

Caroljenks said...

This is absolutely gorgeous! The colours are beautiful and your distressing looks great.

I hope your internet connection gets sorted soon - what a PAIN!

Thanks for joining us this week over at Top Tip Tuesday for our 'All Sentimental' challenge :)

Carol x

Gemma said...

this is such a beautiful card. Thanks for joining in this weeks challenge at One Stitch at a Time! Gemma :)

Brenda Brown said...

Hi Alison, what a pain having no high speed internet connection. I would be lost without mine.
On a brighter note I love this cute card, the colours and the distressing.
Thanks for playing with us at The Stamp Man this week and good luck.
Hope you have a good week.
luv and hugs {brenda} xoxox

Anne said...

Wow your card is just gorgeous, so much lovely detail.

We used to have Avanti, which was bought out by FDM (or was it the other way round?) and the best thing about it was that it spurred BT on to provide broadband for our rural village. Good luck!

Thank you for taking the Top Tip Tuesday Challenge, hope you’ll join us again!
Hugs
Anne

Debi said...

Your card is lovely! Thank you for playing along with the Papertake Weekly challenge.

Liz, said...

Hiya, this card is gorgeous, glad you managed to get it posted. Thanks for joining in this months Crafty Calendar.

Liz x

Dena said...

So sorry about your internet troubles! But, I am soooo glad you were able to post this gorgeous card! It is wonderful! Beautiful work!!!!!
Thanks for joining the WOC Challenge this week!
Hugs, Dena

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...